How to Set Up Filters & Segments in Google Analytics?
What are Segments and Filters in Google Analytics?
Segments and filters are two similar features in Google Analytics but their use cases are a little different.
When you use a segment, it will check all the visits that meet the segment conditions. If a user session meets the condition, it will show all the rows. For example, you can see metrics on the basis of particular criteria, like only organic or paid traffic.
In the case of the filter, it considers all the rows and then shows the rows that meet applicable conditions.
The basic difference between filter and segment is that a filter is used to have a look at specific page views, events, etc. among all the visits. Whereas, a segment is used when all the visits are selected.
To sum up, if you want to check the traffic on your site from Facebook in the last three years, you should go for a segment. But if you want to change the way of data collection, like stop showing traffic from your IP address, bots, etc., then a filter should be used.
How to Set Up a Segment in Google Analytics?
Here is the step-by-step process for setting up a segment in Google Analytics:
1. Navigate to Audience > Overview. Click on +Add Segment.
2. To add a new segment, click on the +New Segment button.
3. It will show five types of segments that you can create:
Demographics: To segment users based on their gender, language, age, location, etc.
Technology: To segment users on the basis of their browsers, screen resolution, operating system, device, etc.
Behaviour: To segment on the basis of their sessions, session duration, transactions, etc.
Date of First Visit: To segment on the basis of the date when they came to your site for the first time.
Traffic Sources: To segment users on the basis of source of traffic, like organic, social, keywords, etc.
4. Depending on your requirement, select the preferred segment, name it, and then Save. Before saving, you may want to preview it. Click on the Preview button to do so.
You can also create advanced segments for eCommerce to see the metrics based on traffic sources, shopping behaviour, etc.
How to Set Up a Filter in Google Analytics?
Here is the step-by-step process for setting up a filter in Google Analytics:
1. Log in to Google Analytics.
2. Choose the property for which you want to set up a filter.
3. From the View option, spread the dropdown menu and click on Create New View. Write the name of the new View and then click on Create View.
4. From the View option, now select Filters and click on +Add Filter for adding a new Filter to View.
5. Write the filter name. GA also has some predefined filter types. You can select the required one from these or create a custom filter.
6. If you want to create a custom filter, click on Custom Filter and select the View to which you want to apply this filter. Click Add.
7. To finish the process, click Save.